St. Augustine Orchestra is a volunteer organization open to accomplished musicians. It costs nothing to participate. Your time, and your skills, are highly valued and much effort goes into the creation of a performance season that is both fulfilling and a balanced repertoire. Participation in SAO will raise your skills if not also raise your musical quality of life.
SAO rehearsals are held Tuesday evenings from August to May from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Location: Murray Middle School, 150 N. Holmes Blvd., St. Augustine, Fl. 32084
SAO regularly welcomes new players. Interested musicians are invited to prepare an informal, brief (1-2) minute audition and submit the link of a video recording to our artistic director, Scott Gregg as follows:
By the way, we understand that auditions are often a source of some anxiety to prepare. Please understand that they are the only way the Conductor can understand the individual skills of our many talented players. We’ve made this process quite easy:
Please be certain to state the following information at the beginning of your video, followed by your musical audition:
- Your first and last name.
- A brief statement regarding your musical background.
- Make a video in one take, to simulate an live audition environment
- Play some major scales with arpeggios, a lyrical passage you may know and/or a technical passage that shows what you’ve got.
- “Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.” If that voice in your head questions whether you are “good enough”, let us worry about that. Don’t let your inner voice of doubt stop you from giving us the chance to hear you.
- Choose selections that show your BEST side in the audition because for all of us, our BEST side shows up ready to perform on concert night to delight our audiences.
- Store the recording on YouTube or Vimeo.
- Save the file to YouTube or Vimeo, and email us the LINK only.
- Do not forget to send the login information to see the video file, if required.
- Submit to Scott Gregg, Musical Director. (Click on his name here).
Please note that seating availability changes so its important to act now. Let us have the opportunity to be the musical home for you when the timing is right. We can’t consider you if you don’t reach out to us!
We also invite you to peruse this web site for more information. Please don’t be invisible. Help us get to know you musically.
If you have questions please address them to Allyson Breger. (Click on her name.)
C’mon. Just do it! Violins, Violas, Cellos and Basses… show us what you’ve got. Oboes and Bassoons, and especially orchestral brass such as trombones, trumpets and horns. Let’s not forget the importance of orchestral percussion, which often requires many hands on many instruments.
SAO Board of Directors